We talk to bourbon buddies, Kyle and Dylan, about Buffalo Trace


              We all have those moments when we see something at the store and then, because we thought about it a split second to long everywhere we go our attention is being grabbed by this object. Our friends are talking about it. We are being asked questions about it and the hype is just building and building until finally we are like dam I have to try this! That is the way Buffalo Trace came to be our bourbon of discussion this week.

               The history of Buffalo Trace Distillery really is weaved into the fabric of bourbon itself. Buffalo Trace Bourbon has been around since 1999, but the distillery has been around since the late 1700’s under many names and is credited with producing some of the first and finest bourbons in the world. The distillery was one of very few that were allowed to produce whiskey for medicinal use during prohibition and is a National Landmark. We will get more into the distillery and all its brands in a bit!

               One of the things that caught my eye about this bourbon beside the pretty cool bottle, is that you can find it everywhere for around $30 a bottle. The other thing about this bourbon, is that everywhere I go people are telling me how good it is. This week I invited two of the most knowledgeable and interesting bourbon guys I know to join me on this little adventure. I asked them one simple question: What do you think about Buffalo Trace?

               First one to reply was my buddy Dylan. Dylan is an all-around amazing guy with a background in education and always down to share the good stuff. A few minutes later, as I am making a round of Old Fashioneds, I hear from my cuz Kyle. Kyle is, in one word, rad! He is an awesome guy with an amazing beard with a background in the restaurant and bar industry, knowledgeable beyond his years.

Dylan told me that “I actually enjoy a nice pour of Buffalo Trace to sip on. It’s smooth with a very nice aroma and taste.” When it comes to the price it’s hard to beat! He doesn’t feel this is a bourbon to throw in soda to mask its flavor, but that it makes a very tasty Manhattan or Old Fashioned, which by the way are his cocktails of choice. I couldn’t agree more, I love a good Old Fashioned.

               Kyle starts off with saying “Buffalo Trace is a gateway bourbon. I wouldn’t feel bad slamming a shot or sipping on it with some ice or enjoying it neat.” Kyle feels that it is good for the price, but mediocre compared to others at same price point. He would be comfortable using Buffalo Trace in a variety of cocktails, even a sour. Thinking about it I wouldn’t mind trying a good sour.

               Hearing what these guys had to say I couldn’t help myself, I had to try it! I have to say I agree with both the guys. I did enjoy it. It has good color and full of aroma and flavor. I feel that it gets a little lost in cocktails, but definitely enjoyed it in an Old-Fashioned. I am in line with Kyle in the fact that this is a great starter bourbon with a great price point and availability. We all agree that this is a decent bourbon that belongs on your bar. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter why you decide to try Buffalo Trace Bourbon, but that you do. Pour yourself a glass and enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thats some good Mustache Wax!

Well 80's "Olympias Best Mustache Contest" 2018

Hash on the Westside