Cracking open some history with Elijah Craig 12 Year Barrel Proof
This
week we are cracking open a bottle of Elijah Craig 12-Year Barrel Proof bourbon!
First a little background, Heaven Hill has been released their Elijah Craig
bourbon as a 12-Year-Old Barrel Proof since the Fall of 2013. They release
about 3 per year. This is the 14th release of the Elijah Craig
Barrel Proof offering and their second release of 2017. One of my favorite
things about this bourbon is that it is still affordable, even being a limited
release!
Elijah
Craig really is the history of Bourbon. Reverend Elijah Craig was a Baptist
preacher and active character in Kentucky during the 1800’s. He was many things
during his lifetime, but being a distiller and entrepreneur is what cemented
his place in history as “The Father of Bourbon”. No one really knows how Elijah
began charring his barrels, but once he did it’s easy to taste and understand
why he continued the process! Inside those barrels magic happens and clear
liquor is transformed into an amazingly awesome, distinctively smooth flavor
that makes Bourbon what it is. We may never know how it happened, but Elijah
Craig is credited with being the first distiller to age his whiskey in charred
oak barrels.
Heaven Hill Distillery maintains the Bourbon making traditions
developed by Elijah Craig. Every bottle of Bourbon is crafted with the same
method used by Mr. Craig over two hundred years ago. They use local corn and
grains that are milled and then mixed with limestone-rich Kentucky spring
water, then fermented and distilled. Heaven Hill produces several spirits such
as Evan Williams, Burnett’s Vodka and Lunazul Tequila.
The Elijah Craig 12-year is probably one of the smoothest and
most tasty bourbons I have I cracked open to date! The aroma that flooded my
nose as soon as I opened it was amazing. The oak and caramel flavor’s come through
strong with a little heat at first but settle down very nicely. I tried it neat,
with a little water and then with some ice. I really enjoyed it with ice as
some more fruity elements were released. For the affordable price, accessibility
and over all drinkability of this bourbon I highly recommend the Elijah Craig
12-Year Barrel Proof Bourbon. Pour yourself a glass and enjoy!
Comments
Post a Comment