Brunch at Hart's Mesa



              It is spring, right? Looking outside, all I see is the dark and gloomy rain clouds. Living in the beautiful pacific northwest if there is one thing I have learned it is that you can’t let the dark and gloomy or the rain keep you down, or in the house! Put on that trusty rain coat and go for a walk. Have an adventure. Enjoy the fresh air!
               Here in Olympia the Farmers Market is about to open and vendors are gearing up for all the festivals the new season brings. My family loves to go downtown and just wander form vendor to vendor and store to store in search of nothing more than a smile, a great coffee and an amazing meal. We are huge fans of brunch and always on the hunt for great local spots. On one of our adventures downtown we discovered Hart’s Mesa, Oly-Mex Brunch House on Colombia Street.
               Hart’s Mesa is an intimate twenty table spot with two person to six-persons tables. The aromas of hearty Mexican food greets you with a smile as soon as you come in the door. The first thing you notice is the huge mural on the back wall of a skull designed with all the vegetables that are essential to great Mexican cuisine. Originally from the Southwest, I am a sucker for good Mexican food!

My fiancé and I showed up about 103:0am and the tiny waiting area was already packed! After about 10 minutes a waiter came up to start a waiting list. We were seated about 20 minutes later. This is usually the part where I would be telling how attentive the wait staff was and how we got these amazing drinks but…yeah I am just going to jump to the food.

               As you can see there are so many choices from American classics to savory Latin inspired dishes. We chose the Huevos y Chorizo, the Huevos Rancheros. I grew up on these classics back home and order them anytime I see them on the menu. Of course we also had to try the Sourdough French Toast, its what brunch is all about.
               We ordered The Huevos y Chorizo with a side of black beans and flour tortillas. The dish was well prepared, but lacked that POW of southwest flavor. The chorizo had no heat and very little taste, but the eggs were light and fluffy. The black beans were actually the winner of this dish, full of rich flavor and cooked just right. 

               The Huevos Rancheros was excellent! We had it topped with eggs over easy that were cooked just perfectly. It was all sitting on top a wonderful red sauce and topped with a tasty pico. Every thing on this plate tasted great individually and when combined came together perfect!

               The Sourdough French Toast came with nice thick slices of bread, and fresh fruit. The French toast was cooked well and the sourdough added a nice new level of taste to an otherwise ordinary brunch dish.

               As I was looking back over my notes and pictures of Hart's Mesa I really wanted it to wow me ,but the truth is the service or well actually lack of service is all that keeps coming to mind and it took away from the overall experience. The food is tasty and well prepared, but ordinary and not memorable. No matter how awesome the back of the house is, the front of the house is first, and in this case the last impression. So sit back pour yourself a drink and have an adventure!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thats some good Mustache Wax!

Well 80's "Olympias Best Mustache Contest" 2018

Hash on the Westside