Spending the day at the Heritage Distillery


            Now that we have established what bourbon is I believe its time to drink some! This weekend I had the opportunity to visit the Heritage Distillery in Gig Harbor, Washington. Heritage has been producing great spirits since 2012 and was the first distillery in Washington. The first spirit produced and sold was their Elk Rider Blended Whiskey in 2013. Don’t get it twisted, its pretty dam good whiskey, but that’s not what we went to drink.

The tasting room is a beautiful little spot overlooking the distillery itself. The bar is made out of two huge pieces of tree that blended perfect with the cask that surround it. As we were standing around the tasting room waiting for our tour, Claire our bartender, was giving us the low down on some of the history of the owner’s families and the awesome stories behind some of the pictures hanging on the wall that were the inspiration for the label on the Elk Rider Whiskey. Hint it’s a woman riding an elk (yes riding an elk).

When we got down stairs for our tour, Max was waiting to educate us! Let me tell you Max is not only very knowledgeable, but he is funny and wasn’t afraid to get his share of one liners in. Believe me with this group he defiantly had to hold his own! He broke everything down in such a way that we were all engaged the entire tour and made it feel personal. We wanted to get to trying the delicious bourbon that he was so delighted and proud to tell us about so keeping us engaged and on track was not difficult at all. One of the coolest things I learned was that Heritage uses an Italian made still named Nonna and is actually the first Italian made still to be used in the United States!

Thirsty and excited we made our back to the tasting room…up the stairs past one of the biggest set of elk antlers I have ever seen that yes may or may not have been from that woman who rode elk (see above comment about label). Claire talked to us a little about what we wanted to try and then set it up in a way that we wouldn’t burnout our pallet before we tried everything. So, we selected our four pours and let her get to work. Even if you are not a bourbon drinker Heritage has a great selection of Vodkas and Gins for you to try!

On to the bourbon. I listed the bourbons as seen in the picture from left to right. The first one I tried was the Dual Barrel Collection Bourbon. I must admit there was some anticipation build up why Claire poured everyone’s tastes, so I took some extra time taking it all in. The bottles have a throwback feeling and the simple labels let you see and appreciate what you are enjoying. It had the lightest color of the bunch but I liked it at first sip. Smooth with a little heat at the end.

Second was the Roslyn Reserve Bourbon. This is their new release put out at the new distillery in Roslyn and can only be found for purchase down there! This is my favorite one! Its very easy to drink and smooth from start to finish. I am not going to get into the complex flavors and this and that because well that just not me. In my opinion this one’s a sipper.

Next was the Dual Barrel Collection, Rye Bourbon. When I started this bourbon adventure I was not a huge fan of heavy ryes. It burnt going down and I just didn’t enjoy it. The Dual Barrel changed my opinion. I totally enjoyed every sip.

The last one I tried was the Dual Barrel Collection, Old Fashioned Ready Rye Whiskey. I am a sucker for a good Old Fashioned. There is just something about it that makes me want to put on my suit and tie, listen to Luis Armstrong and mosey on down to my favorite speakeasy for a few. I really enjoyed the orange accents and easy drinking of this bottle.

To sum up my experience at Heritage Distillery and their bourbon is simple…Go there. Try it. Drink it. Enjoy it. Get a tour and really take in the whole experience. You won’t be disappointed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thats some good Mustache Wax!

Well 80's "Olympias Best Mustache Contest" 2018

Hash on the Westside